A lightweight web browser, only for browsing the web. Based on the gtkhtml2 layout engine. Prototypes written currently in Python.
- There is no way to say whether an image is linked from the page or from its style when loading page with gtkhtml2, thus there is no way to tell what base URL should be used.
- The downloading of files should really be done in a separate thread – setting up the connection takes so long, that the interface becomes unresponsive.
- Maybe there is a better HTTP library, that would allow to reuse the connection, save cookies, etc.
- Loads and displays web pages when URL is entered
- Loads web pages after clicking a link
- The base URL of all images is assumed to be the same as the web page's
- Link URLs displayed on hover
- Basic history (back button)
- Loading of images makes GUI unresponsive, because they are loaded in the same thread
- No form support
- No cache, poor HTTP support, no cookies
- No logical code structure
I don't see a future for this particular project, although I recognize that this attempt can have some educational value for others. That's why you can download it here.
There is another simple web browser, Arora, and Dillo was recently ressurected…